When we go shopping why not take your own reusable bags and donate 5p for every bag that you have used instead of paying 5p for new bags.
There are several benefits of using your own bags.
1. Plastic bags take hundreds of years to decompose.
2. Most plastic bags end up in landfills or in the ocean. There is actually a giant garbage heap made mostly of plastic floating in the ocean that’s twice the size of the United States.
3. It’s estimated that 1 million birds and thousands of sea animals die each year after ingesting plastic bags.
4. More than 10% of the rubbish that pollutes coastlines is made up of plastic bags
5. It takes 12 million barrels of oil to produce the roughly 100 billion plastic bags
6. The oil used to produce 14 plastic bags can drive a car one mile.